Sequence is a new feature introduced in SQL Server 2012. Unlike identity values, sequence is an independent object. It can be used in table definition as a default constraint on a column or referenced from a query including OVER clause. There are few DDLs and DMLs supporting sequences.
- Create Sequence: create a sequence optionally with properties, returning type, starting value, interval, minimum value, maximum value, cycle, cache. If you don’t specify any properties, bigint will be used as returning data type.
- Alter Sequence: Modify properties of sequence, returning type, starting value, interval, minimum value, maximum value, cycle, cache
- Drop Sequence: Remove a sequence.
- Next Value For: Get next value of a sequence.It cannot be called from functions.
- sp_sequence_get_range: Get range of sequence.
- sys.sequences: DMV for sequence.